Date published: Sunday 25th October 2020 4:35
Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti insisted his side will appeal the red card show to Lucas Digne after claiming that the outcry following last week’s heated derby with Liverpool may have had an effect on the referee’s decision in today’s clash.
The Toffees entered the occasion top of the table with hopes high of extending their unbeaten start to the campaign.
Southampton proved more than worthy opponents, however, and ultimately ran out comfortable 2-0 winners after goals from James Ward-Prowse and Che Adams.
Things went from bad to worse for Everton as French full-back Digne was given his marching orders after a clumsy challenge caught Kyle Walker-Peters on his achilles.
The dismissal was Everton’s second in successive matches followign Richarlison’s red card versus Liverpool last week.
Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Ancelotti admitted his side underperformed, and couldn’t contain his anger at Digne’s dismissal.
“We didn’t play well, Southampton were better than us and they deserved to win,” said the Italian.
“Sometimes you are not at your best, it came after a really good run for us, now we have to look forward with the same spirit and belief.
“We tried to get back into the game, we had some good control after half-time.”
Regarding the red card, Ancelotti raged: “The red card was a joke, it was not intentional, for sure it was not violent. Maybe it was a yellow.
“Maybe all this talk all week against Pickford, against Richarlison, affected the decision and if so it’s not right, it’s not fair. We will appeal, for sure.
“I told the players winter is coming and we will have to react.”
MATCH REPORT: Everton finish with 10 as Southampton lay waste to last Prem unbeaten run