Date published: Saturday 10th October 2020 7:57
Barcelona are understood to be fuming at Ousmane Dembele, with the forward training on his own after he snubbed a deadline day move to Manchester United.
The France attacker was strongly linked with a loan move to United. But the deal collapsed on deadline day as Dembele opted to stay put.
The Red Devils failed to land a top level right-winger after also missing out on Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.
They did, however, land two young prospects in Amad Diallo and Facundo Pellestri on deadline day, while veteran hitman Edinson Cavani also arrived at Old Trafford.
There have been reports that Ole Gunnar Solskajer’s men will resurrect their interest in Dembele in January. However, it still remains to be seen if the player will agree to a switch. It has since been claimed he would only consider a move to one European side.
Reports from Spain suggest at the time said Barcelona were left ‘furious’ with Dembele after he refused to swap Catalonia for Manchester.
It’s reported United contacted Barcelona over an initial loan move for the winger, something he had expressed initial interest in.
Barcelona responded by trying to offer the winger a new deal as a show of good faith. It was intended that a move to Old Trafford would give both United and Barcelona time to assess Dembele and where they saw his future. At that stage, a permanent move to United or a return to Barca were both possibilities.
However, with the terms of the deal agreed, Dembele then had a late change of heart. His agent then informed Barca chiefs that the arrangement was off and he’d be staying to fight for his future.
Barcelona, who are short of cash, then had to pull out of their plan to sign Memphis Depay for €12.5m from Lyon.
Dembele left in Barcelona isolation
Dembele’s decision did not sit well with Barca, with boss Ronald Koeman understood to be furious at Dembele’s decision.
It’s claimed the decision also ‘did not sit well’ with Barcelona’s hierarchy, according to ESPN.
It’s claimed he has since been told by Koeman he has little chance of first-team football over the coming weeks. Furthermore, with the January window opening in just 83 days, Barca will once again try to offload Dembele.
Dembele, meanwhile, has been training on his own. Barcelona’s players not on international duty had been given four days off over the break. But Spanish reports claim that the winger has opted to train as normal instead and on his own.
Dembele has made just one 20-minute appearance so far this season.
He was also on the brink of being left out of their matchday squad to face Celta Vigo last week. However, a late injury to Junior Firpo led to a last-ditch reprieve.
READ MORE ~ Euro Paper Talk: Three top centre-backs on Man Utd radar