Date published: Friday 2nd October 2020 8:31
Barcelona have rejected a last-minute offer to sign Tottenham defender Juan Foyth in favour of pressing ahead for Eric Garcia, according to a report.
Foyth’s future has become the subject of speculation in recent weeks, with several reports claiming he is exit-bound.
Indeed Villarreal are supposedly close to signing the Argentine, with negotiations at an “advanced stage”.
Mundo Deportivo adds that Foyth is indeed closing in on the move but adds that Barcelona have been offered the late chance to sign the 22-year-old.
Barca are keen to sign a new centre-back but Manchester City’s Garcia remains their top target, the report adds.
As such, Barca have told Foyth’s representatives that they have “ruled out” taking interest in the defender.
Garcia has less than one year left on his contract, which he has confirmed he will not be renewing.
Foyth meanwhile moved to Spurs in 2017 under the stewardship of former boss and countryman Mauricio Pochettino.
In his first season in England, the central defender made eight appearances, although none in the Premier League.
That changed though with Foyth earning 12 top-flight outings the season after. He has since played in the league four more times but is yet to take to the field this campaign.
Barca, Tottenham discussed Umtiti move
Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo also claims that Spurs and Barca discussed a transfer for Samuel Umtiti earlier this year.
Spurs are reportedly keen to sign a new centre-back, with Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar a firm target.
However the latest report says that during the coronavirus lockdown, Barcelona and Tottenham “bartered” about a deal for France international Umtiti.
Umtiti’s future at Camp Nou has proved uncertain in recent seasons due to his injury problems.
PSG snubbed after making second Alli offer
Elsewhere, Tottenham have reportedly knocked back a second Paris Saint-Germain approach for Dele Alli.
The England international has only appeared in three of his side’s eight games so far this season and has reportedly become “unsettled”.
And after failing with a first loan bid, the French champions have reportedly come back with a second proposal.