Date published: Saturday 10th October 2020 3:43
Christian Eriksen admits he is hoping to return to regular first team football after struggling for continuity at Inter Milan.
Eriksen joined Inter from Tottenham in January, six months before his contract in London was due to expire.
However, the Danish international did not get as much gametime as he would have expected. He was a substitute more often than a starter in his first half-a-season, and only completed 90 minutes in Serie A on two occasions.
His struggles to settle in Italy led to speculation he could leave over the summer. A return to the Premier League was suggested, with Chelsea one option, but nothing materialised.
Eriksen has started just one of Inter’s three games so far this season, and one respected journalist claims Tottenham are still thinking about taking him back to England as well.
Now, the 28-year-old has admitted he is in unknown territory having been reduced to a bit-part role.
While on duty with Denmark, he said: “I don’t want to sit on the bench for the whole season. I hope this isn’t the coach’s or the club’s intention.
“There will be an incredible number of matches in a short time, and now we also have three national team matches in a few days. The Champions League starts when we get back to their respective clubs, so there will be a lot of games to play.
“I’m sure I’ll probably have my minutes. So it depends a lot on the people on the outside and I myself expect this moment to come.
“I find myself at a point where perhaps I had never been in a club team before. I got off to a great start after arriving at Inter in January and tried to show off… then we stopped because of coronavirus and it went little up and down.
“People’s thinking and expectations of me as a player is to be decisive in every game, and that wasn’t the case. That’s why people from the outside look at me differently now.
“Obviously you become less patient when you have experience and have tried different things… in the end it is always unpleasant to sit on the bench.”
Eriksen denies Bundesliga links
Eriksen also denied he had heard of any interest from elsewhere, after the Bundesliga emerged as another potential destination.
Borussia Dortmund and Hertha Berlin were linked with the playmaker on deadline day, but he stayed put at Inter.
“I have not heard anything from my agent, and if there was something around me, I would have heard it from him or the club, but there was nothing,” he said.
“I gradually got used to the fact that a lot is written in the press. What is true and what is not true, I cannot answer.
“I only know what I was told and there was nothing concrete. So Monday was just a day like any other for me, because nothing happened.”