What better way to impress your history-loving pals or loved ones than with gifts that reflect their passion for the past? Those enamored of the chronicles of time will delight in presents that embody their affection for all things of bygone eras. From parchment and quill sets to medieval castle blueprints, there’s a bounty of thoughtful and surprising gifts that will make history buffs swoon like Henry VIII at the sight of his new bride. As a bit of a history enthusiast myself, I have scoured the annals of time (and the internet!) to come up with a list of 35 unique gift suggestions that would make even Napoleon stand a little taller.
With history being such a broad subject, it’s sometimes difficult to pin down the perfect present. Are they fascinated with ancient Roman architecture or are they captivated by the tumultuous events of the American Civil War? Either way, fear not! This list should offer something for every type of historian.
And remember, nobody likes a gift that appears to be an afterthought or a last-minute buy from a garage sale. These gifts aren’t just about historical factoids but also about adding that personal touch. After all, you wouldn’t gift Winston Churchill a brand new e-cigarette, now would you? Let’s dive into history, shall we?
1. **Historical Map Reprints** – Begin the journey into the past with these meticulously reproduced print, perfect to spruce up any office or study. Just make sure the map isn’t a trigger reminder of Manifest Destiny or how they failed geography in 8th grade.
2. **Shakespearean Insults Chart** – History and barbs combine to unleash a storm of witty insults. Not to worry, though. The recipient’s honor remains intact!
3. **One Year Newspaper Reprint** – Let them live a year in history with this heartfelt gift. It’s bound to be more interesting than their Aunt Sally’s Christmas newsletter.
4. **History Channel Documentary Box Set** – Hours of immersive storytelling that do a better job of rewriting history than their high school textbooks.
5. **History Buff’s Crossword Plus** – A gift word-ly of their intellect. Challenge them and make sure they use those history lessons well.
6. **Victorian Telescope** – To spy on neighbor’s historically accurate recreations of the Civil War…or you know, just to look at the stars.
7. **A Copy of ‘Sapiens’** – This gem by Yuval Noah Harari is an absolute must-have for history geeks. A little warning though, they might isolate themselves for a few days until the final page is devoured.
8. **Monogrammed Quill Pen Set** – A nod to the past when conjuring elegant prose was more than just tapping plastic keys.
9. **Historic Wine Glass Set** – They can toast to their favorite period in history each evening. Don’t worry, the Lead is purely ornamental!
10. **Smithsonian Membership** – Packed with access to historical documents, magazines, and exclusive perks. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
11. **Rosetta Stone Replica** – Perfect for the linguists, this is a resplendent reminder of the historical artifacts that make our world fascinating.
12. **Replica Artifacts** – Be it Pompeii ash preserves or replica Viking helmets, there’s something thrilling about holding history.
13. **Ancient Greece Lego Set** – A reminder that history can be playful and no, they’re never too old for LEGO.
14. **Vintage Globe Bar Cart** – Adds a touch of elegance to their home while they sip whiskey and mull over the historical implications of the Dutch East India Company.
15. **Hamilton Musical Merchandise** – Who knew rapping and history could go hand-in-hand. This Broadway hit has created a unique breed of history fans.
16. **World History Timeline Poster** – For easy reference during trivia night and heated history debates.
17. **The British Museum Cookbook** – A collection of recipes from historical times. After all, who wouldn’t want to sample Henry VIII’s favorite dish?
18. **Historical Figure Funko Pop! Figurines** – Quirky desk companions like Abraham Lincoln or George Washington keeps history fun.
19. **The History Chicks Podcast Merchandise** – Support their favorite podcast and let them proclaim their love for history from the rooftops.
20. **A Replica Declaration of Independence** – Because nothing says “history buff” like having “the birth certificate of America” on your living room wall.
21. **Replica World War II Field Phone** – A truly nostalgic piece of equipment. However, it’s perhaps best not to use it as an actual phone.
22. **”Don’t Know Much About History” Book Bundle** – Kenneth Davis’s intriguing take on history is both refreshing and informative.
23. **Presidential Trivia Game** – Test their knowledge of the American presidents. They’ll love it, even if they do mercilessly school everyone else.
24. **Victorian Era Tea Set** – Each sip will transport them back to the 19th century. Just remember, pinkies up!
25. **A History-themed puzzle** – Fun and educational, this gift promises countless hours of entertainment.
26. **Historic Coasters Set** – These coasters from the National Archives store bring all the charm of yesteryears.
27. **Napoleon’s Armchair Miniature** – A historic piece for sitting, pondering and inevitably hatching dastardly plans of world conquest just like Napoleon!
28. **Framed Historical American Flag** – A gift symbolic of patriotism and pride. A hint of rustic charm doesn’t hurt either.
29. **A set of History-themed Thought Bubbles** – For the next historian comic-con, of course!
30. **Subscription to National Geographic History Magazine** – The gift that keeps on giving, keeping them updated on the latest in history’s exciting adventures.
31. **Ancient Rome Monopoly Version** – Yes, it exists and it’s the fun twist on Monopoly your history buff friends never knew they wanted until now.
32. **Cast Iron Ships Anchor Paperweight** – This novel gift will weigh down their papers and keep their minds sailing through the seas of the past.
33. **History’s Mystery Escape room game** – A tricky gift to unwrap and even trickier to beat. It’s sure to test their epic problem-solving skills.
34. **Knight Templar Sword Letter Opener** – For the history buff who also appreciates a touch of medieval drama with their mail.
35. **History’s ‘Turning Points in History’ DVD Set** – Essential viewing for anyone who loves history. Expect excited texts about their favorite episodes.
Compiling this list was like a trip through time. Perhaps you found that perfect parchment, or maybe a historical DVD set that’ll elevate movie nights. If Mark Twain’s right and “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme,” these gifts are the perfect way to embrace the rhythm of the past. Wishing you a historical holiday season, filled with joy, love and lengthy debates about the Napoleonic era.