Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wants a £40million solution for a problem position at Anfield, while West Ham close in on a new defender – all in the latest Euro Paper Talk.
KLOPP WANTS NUNO MENDES
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has asked his superiors to fork out Nuno Mendes’ €45million (£40million) release clause and bring the left-back to Anfield, according to a report.
The 18-year-old has risen to become a vital part of Sporting’s team, despite his tender years.
Indeed, he only made his Liga NOS debut towards the end of last season but has featured in all of his team’s league games this term.
Recent reports have suggested that Liverpool and Leicester are keen on bringing the left-back to the Premier League.
According to Don Balon, though, Klopp has made his interest in the player personal by asking his superiors to pay Mendes’ release clause.
Klopp reportedly believes that Mendes would be a ‘tremendous’ addition down the left flank. As such, the Reds will reportedly ‘try to get ahead’ of the other sides in the race.
Indeed, while Leicester are reportedly a ‘big stakeholder’, Real Madrid’s scouts have sent glowing reports about the player.
Earlier speculation has suggested that Diogo Jota could prove vital in a potential transfer. Jota, who is a fellow countryman of Portuguese starlet Mendes, has had a stunning impact since his signing from Wolves in September.
However, Klopp’s request for Mendes reportedly comes as he loses faith in another of his recent signings. Left-back Kostas Tsimikas arrived as Andy Robertson’s deputy from Olympiacos in August but has struggled with injury.
As such, Don Balon claims that the Greece international has not gained Klopp’s confidence so far.
Tsimikas suffered a thigh injury in September and has only played 159 minutes of football this season, a statistic that the source relays as the reason for Klopp’s distrust.
However, the 24-year-old is likely to play next Wednesday when Liverpool play Midtjylland in a Champions League dead rubber contest.
AND THE REST FROM EURO PAPER TALK
West Ham will likely have to agree a deal with Silkeborg IF for Frederik Alves before January 1. But the player is ‘expected’ to move to the London Stadium (Ekstra Bladet)
Valencia president Anil Murthy regrets selling Ferran Torres to Manchester City amid his explosive form (Sport)
Meanwhile, City are close to signing promising winger Dario Sarmiento from Estudiantes (Fabrizio Romano)
What’s more, City have moved closer to tying Kevin de Bruyne down to a new contract (Fabrizio Romano)
Leicester will have a second chance to sign Real Betis midfielder William Carvalho in January (La Razon)
MEXICO COACH POSITIVE ABOUT JIMENEZ
Mexico head coach Gerardo Martino says that he is “very positive” about Raul Jimenez’s recovery (TUDN)
Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar has revealed his desire to play with Lionel Messi again (ESPN)
But Barcelona presidential candidate Joan Laporta says that he has not spoken to Messi about an extension (Catalunya Radio)
Laporta, though, could prove crucial if Barcelona want to sign Erling Haaland. He has an excellent rapport with the player’s agent, Mino Raiola (Fabrizio Romano)
But Manchester United would have to pay extra if they are to pursue a deal for Haaaland (Mundo Deportivo)
Aston Villa are now unlikely to move for Werder Bremen attacker Milot Rashica after he suffered injury (Kicker)
Fabinho says that he has always been prepared to step into a centre-back role for Liverpool (Esporte Interativo)
LIVERPOOL, ARSENAL TARGET ASENSIO
Liverpool and Arsenal are willing to put €60million on the table to sign Real Madrid’s Marco Asensio (Don Balon)
Atletico Madrid could join Tottenham and Everton in the race for Arkadiusz Milik in January (AS)
A group of players at Madrid believe that the club should replace Zinedine Zidane as manager (Cadena Cope)
Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci thinks that his team are now “on track” after their lack of pre-season (Sky Sport Italia)