Manchester United are reportedly ready to give summer signing Facundo Pellistri some action over their upcoming cup fixtures.
The Uruguayan winger moved to Old Trafford back on deadline day in a deal worth £9million from from Penarol. However, the 18-year-old has yet to make a first-team appearance for the club.
Pellistri and fellow winger Amad Diallo were brought in after the Red Devils failed to sign top target Jadon Sancho.
And it would appear that the former is closing in on United debut, that is according to journalist Jonathan Shrager.
“It is believed that Facundo Pellistri may be given some #MUFC first team opportunities in upcoming cup fixtures,” he tweeted.
United have been drawn against Everton in the last eight of the Carabao Cup, with that clash taking place on December 23.
In the FA Cup, meanwhile, they will take on Watford in the third round on January 9.
Solskjaer opened up on Pellistri in November and said: “He’s a young boy coming over and it’s all new for him.
“He’ll need a few games in the Reserves, of course, to try to find his feet in a new country.
“It’s been very positive so far and he’s someone we’ll be patient with and we’ll give him time to settle in and get used to us.”
Before that, Solskjaer talked up the starlet, insisting that he would make the grade at Old Trafford.
“Our scouts have followed Facundo for a long time. We believe that he will be a real talent for the long term,” Solskjaer said.
“Whilst we understand it will take time for him to adapt to the English game, he is capable of having an impact with his pace and ability to beat his opponent.
“Facundo has the perfect platform at Manchester United to develop. He has all of the technical qualities and the right mentality required to become a top player here.
“We are all looking forward to working with him to fulfil his potential over the coming years.”
United fans will now be able to make up their own minds on the winger, if he does indeed make his debut over the coming weeks.
Owen lauches into United star Fred
Michael Owen says Fred would never play for him again if he was manager of Manchester United after his “pathetic” sending off on Wednesday night.
Fred was dismissed for a second bookable offence in the second half of the 3-1 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain. But in reality the Brazilian should have seen red in the first half after what looked like a headbutt on Leandro Paredes.
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
It left former United striker fuming with Fred, who has struggled to get the fans onside at Old Trafford.
“Mistakes all round really,” Owen told BT Sport.
“It [the clash with Paredes] was a red card. You’re a grown man, you don’t need to do a petulant thing like that to put your team at risk.
“If I was a manager, and one of my players did that, he would never play for me again. It’s pathetic.
“Overall you have to blame Fred but also Solskjaer. The manager has to protect him and the team in that situation so they’re both to blame.” Read more…