Let’s face it, dads are notoriously hard to shop for, especially when they’re retired. If your father is like mine, he already has more than enough ties, socks, and ‘World’s Best Dad’ mugs to last several lifetimes. The golf club set has been done, redone, overdone, and is now starting to lose its luster. The question then becomes, what can you get for the dad who seems to have everything they need? Well, in this guide I have painstakingly put together 35 unique birthday gift suggestions that would make your retired old man glow like a nuclear Christmas tree.
Retirement years are like a second bloom, a time for dads to kick back, enjoy their hard-earned leisure and rediscover passions they put on hold while working full time and raising a family. This guide keeps all that in mind, considering popular hobbies, possible new interests and qualities of life that your dad might appreciate now that he’s off the clock permanently. So, buckle up, grab your cup of coffee, as we embark on this journey to find a perfect gift for your retired dad.
1. Kindle E-reader: Does dad love to read but can’t handle physical books anymore? The Kindle Paperwhite is a game-changer. It’s lightweight, backlit, and easy on old eyes and arthritic hands. It’s really like giving him an entire library that weights less than a paperback.
2. Bose QuietComfort 35 II: If dad appreciates good music, these noise-cancelling headphones will allow him to listen in peace and quiet. It might isolate him from mom, but hey – problems for another day.
3. AncestryDNA Test Kit: If dad is into genealogy, he’ll be thrilled to discover his roots with this kit. Let’s just hope he doesn’t find out he’s related to someone famous and leave us all behind for a life of luxury!
4. Premium Scotch Whisky: A bottle of Glenfiddich 18-year-old whisky can make dad feel like an aristocrat, even in his pajamas. Just remind him not to drink it all at once.
5. A Professional Massage Chair: If his bones groan louder than him, a massage chair could be dad’s new best friend! Although it’s not cheap, remember, one day you’re going to inherit that chair.
6. Calligraphy Set: Now that he has time on his hands, he can finally write his memoirs – in style. It also comes with the added perk of improving his handwriting.
7. Fishing Gear: A combo of a fishing rod and tackle box is perfect if your dad loves the solitude of casting the line and fighting the fish. Let’s be honest, the chances of a catch are slim but the peace and quiet are guaranteed.
8. Home Brewing Kit: If beer’s his poison, his pale ales, creamy stouts, or tangy ciders, made right at home, would be enough to make the man prouder than when you graduated.
9. MasterClass Subscription: Your retired dad can now learn photography from Annie Leibovitz, cooking from Gordon Ramsay, and science from Neil deGrasse Tyson. Why? Well, because he can.
10. Classic Movie Collection: Films like ‘The Godfather’, ‘Casablanca’, ‘Star Wars’, and others could be great nostalgia trips for your old man.
11. Automatic Soap Dispenser: An automatic soap dispenser isn’t just cool, it’s also relevant in these times of COVID-19. Germs free, worries free!
12. Cordless Drill: Your dad can live his DIY dreams with this. Just make mom doesn’t get hold of it or he’ll be living her DIY dreams instead.
13. Weighted Blanket: A weighted blanket can greatly improve the quality of sleep. Say goodbye to dad grumbling about not getting enough sleep.
14. Cigars: A box of premium handcrafted Habanos can transport your dad to La Havana even without leaving the house. Just don’t let him smoke them all in quick succession.
15. Bulletproof Coffee Kit: For the dad who swears by his morning coffee, this kit involving coffee beans, grass-fed butter, and Brain Octane oil is a must-have.
16. Custom Golf Balls: If golf is his game, he’ll appreciate personalized golf balls. Now he can continue blaming his bad shots on the equipment.
17. Ipad: An iPad Pro could be a great gift for the techno-dad who loves to stay current. Or you can always help them figure it out. It’s not like you have anything else to do anyway.
18. Lawn Robotic Mower: The Husqvarna Automower is worth every penny. Thanks to this, he can watch his favorite shows and let this wonder of technology work.
19. BBQ Grill Set: A solid BBQ grill set is a great gift to ignite the endless summer BBQ possibilities.
20. Custom Star Map: A unique gift showing the alignment of the stars on a significant date. It’s the perfect gift if he’s into astrology and/or self-pity.
21. Gourmet Cheese Basket: For dads who can’t resist good cheese, this delicious assortment of gourmet cheeses hits the spot.
22. Canning Supplies: If he’s got a green thumb, he’ll love this. Plus, you get to mooch off his canned fruits and veggies.
23. Italian Cooking Class: For the food-loving dad, an adventurous Italian cooking class can help up his lasagna game.
24. Chess set: A glorious wooden chess set would impress even a grandmaster. A great hobby and a lovely decorative piece for the living room.
25. Patio Fire Pit: A patio fire pit would make your dad become the host with the most.
26. Bird Watching Binoculars: If your dad loves being awed by our feathered friends, a good pair of bird-watching binoculars would make the perfect gift.
27. Subscription to National Geographic: To fuel dad’s curiosity, nothing beats a lifelong subscription of ‘National Geographic.’
28. Workout Equipment: Some resistance bands, dumbbells, and a yoga mat can help your dad kickstart a healthy lifestyle.
29. Omaha Steaks Gift Box: A meat lover’s treasure chest! A variety of steaks, burgers, and gourmet franks to keep his grill busy.
30. Travel Backpack: Now that dad is retired he has plenty of time to travel – this sturdy and stylish backpack is up for the challenge.
31. Yard Games: Games like Lawn Darts, Bocce Ball, and Giant Jenga can turn dad into the cool guy at the neighborhood picnic.
32. Customized Bobblehead: A bobblehead customized to look like your dad is the perfect office desk decoration.
33. Wine Cooler: Nothing says sophisticated like sipping a perfectly chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc, right?
34. Vertical Gardening Kit – Perfect for the dad with a green thumb stuck in a city apartment.
35. Plush Robe: Finally, a plush robe, just because he’s not going to meetings doesn’t mean he can’t feel like a king.
Whether your dad is an amateur chef, fitness enthusiast, technophile, or DIY extraordinaire, hopefully something on this list sparks your imagination. Finding a gift for your retired dad should be about understanding his newfound time and interests. All of these may not hit bull’s eyes, but then you know your dad, I don’t. You have a head start on finding the perfect gift. Happy shopping!